5/19/10

Hooray for Boobies!!

Yes… hooray for boobies indeed. I love them so much. :-)

But, in all seriousness, I do want to talk something that means a lot to me. Every year, around this time of year, I campaign to get donations and raise money for breast cancer awareness. This is because, ever since 2008, in the first Saturday of June, I participate in Susan G. Komen's "Race for the Cure" when it comes around here in DC.

The reason why is simple… In April 2008, my mom had to endure a double mastectomy because they found lumps in both of her breasts. The surgery went well, but the recovery process was long and arduous. She was in the hospital for a few days dizzy and throwing up from all the meds. But when she came home, she was bed-ridden and in unbearable pain for about a few weeks. Every time she was in pain, I was in pain. It's always unbearable seeing someone who's raised you and you always love in excruciating pain.

She is much better today, and almost back to normal, but even two years after the surgery, some of the after effects can still be felt today. The meds she takes (which is an alternative to chemotherapy, mainly tamoxifen), has some side effects, that changes you all-around as a person, not only physically, but also mentally as well.

I've always looked up to my mom as a very strong woman, and she always has been, and still is. But as age wears on you, and as time goes by, I worry about her each and every single day… and although she's still with us (and as much as I, she, and anyone close to her wouldn't like to admit it), this disease has definitely taken a toll on her, in more ways than one, as it does anyone who's experienced it.

Therefore, I really feel that there really needs to be a cure. Not only for breast cancer, but cancer in general. My personal family history shows that we have been prone to cancer, so it's personal to me, and we definitely need to do what we can to eradicate it.. And since breast cancer kills a lot of people every year, and not so much in a self-imposing manner (unlike lung cancer), this cause really means a lot. If we haven't found the cure by the time my niece Cady turns into a middle aged adult, it would be very disappointing, because she would have a chance in getting it.

But, this is the reason why my brother and I have pretty much made it tradition to start a team, and run this race each year in honor for my mom. And, if we can raise some money along the way and do our part to help out, all the better…

So, along with e-mail, and social networking, I'm using this entry as a vehicle to try to get a few donations. First year we did this, "Team Obedoza" raised more than $8000. Last year, we didn't do as well as that, and we raised a little under $5000, if I'm not mistaken. This year, it will be a little tougher to raise funds, due to the penny-pinching economy.

But, every little bit can help. So, if you can help out in any way, by giving any kind of donation, it would surely be appreciated. You can donate by credit card (or if you prefer, donate by mail by writing a check and filling out a form), by clicking the link below…


But as a free gift, I'm throwing in the limited edition PINK OBECorp "Out-of-the-Box Empowerment" bands I created some time ago. I honestly created them for an occasion like this, because I know I'll be participating in a few of these events, and it's a great way to raise money for this cause. Take a look…



If you're kind enough to donate ANY amount, you will get at least one pink band. Depending on the amount you'll donate, you'll get multiple amounts of these bands (up to 15). Like I said, these are limited edition, and only 350 of these have been made (compared to the few thousand of it's red and white counterparts). These pink bands are even individually labeled, and they are only given out to those giving special donations to advance breast cancer research or to breast cancer survivors, which would make it why they are so rare. Who knows, these might even become a collectors item, especially when the Obedoza "brand" builds momentum. ;-)

Just from reading this blog… you should know how much this cause really means to me, and that somehow, I've gotten through to you. So, if you like boobs and want to save them, I hope that you can help out and help save the boobies. If you do, I will love ya forever. :-)

D4P… PD!!!
-John

PS: Here's the link again in case you missed it the first time…

No comments:

Post a Comment