9/11/09

8 years ago

I can't believe that it has been about 8 years since the horrible events of 9-11-01.

The events that day was one of those generation-defining periods, where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news that the planes crashed in the World Trade Center twin towers. I can specifically remember where I was...


I was a sophomore in college, just coming back from my early 8:00 class which ended pretty early at a little over 8:30, and on my way to get some breakfast in the North Campus Dining Hall in the University of Maryland, before trying to either get some work done, or going back to sleep. I sat down, reading the Diamondback, eating my waffles, then all of a sudden, the TV switched to CNN coverage saying that a plane crashed on the World Trade Center. Then, a few minutes later, the second plane crashed, LIVE on the newsfeed. I was horrendously shocked!


Throughout the day, people around campus were shocked. Then, after hearing that the Pentagon was attacked (and wrongly hearing that the Capitol was attacked, which the United 93 flight that crashed in PA was intended for), I was tranced. I was worried about my brother (who was at Catholic University at the time, only a few miles from the Pentagon attack). Later that afternoon, when I went to my 2:30 PSYC 100 lecture, the professor had a lot of trouble teaching, and said that we must unite as a country.


But, if there's one great thing that came out of 9-11, is that this country united stronger than ever from the days of those events. I couldn't forget how many people wanted to immediately enlist in the army due to anger, pain, and pride after hearing the tragic events of that day (to kick some terrorist butt).


I actually wrote a "knee jerk" entry on the events of that day in my old website, on that same day. Feel free to check it out by
clicking here. You can really see the feelings I was feeling that day (like pain, anger, confusion, etc). Keep in mind I was also 8 years younger, and I didn't quite know how to really express myself at that time.

To close things out, yes, the events of 9-11-01 was unfortunate. But, it has truly made us stronger as a country, and we have gone a long way since then. But, as a country (as well as individuals), we should never forget that day, but at the same time, we must continue to progress and move forward.


D4P...PD!!!

-John


Oh yeah... America still rocks...

No comments:

Post a Comment