9/28/09

No DC... the President is Not Dead!!!...

I haven't done a blog in a while... but I figured this would be a great time for me to start again.

I've avoided a lot of topics over the past few weeks (such as Obama's take on health care, Kanye being a jerk, Serena being a jerk, etc), but I figured I'd talk about the Detroit Lions getting their first win in almost 2 years, against my team, the Washington Redskins.

The reason why I'm talking about this, is because it really has had an impact around this area, and the topics I usually hold dear to my heart (such as motivation, sports, heart, passion, etc). But, if you walk around the Washington area right now, you would have thought that President Obama died (as what I've said in a Facebook update earlier today, and hence the title of this blog).

As a very loyal Redskins fan who has loyally followed this team for about 2 decades, don't get me wrong, I was very upset by the loss. But, I think many people in this town are just overreacting over something they can not control. I understand the frustration with the current management, lackluster play, and 18 years without a Superbowl. But the unfavorable outcome of one football game that we have no hand in deciding is NOT gonna ruin your life.

Many people know that I love sports as much as the next guy and I probably follow it as obsessively, if not moreso, as my brother Angelico loves video games. And, those who know me would know that I love the teams that I follow. However, I wouldn't compare the Redskins losing as if I have lost a family member, or as if the president died. There are more things in life to be sad about than the Redskins losing a game to a team that hasn't won in almost 2 years. Believe me when I say, if the Redskins losing to the Lions is the worst thing that can happen to me this week... then consider me a lucky guy. The best thing I can do, is just say my opinions, make my peace, and move on with life, as well as hope the team will correct their mistakes and do better in the upcoming weeks... If not, so be it! Why lose my head over something I can't control???

As far as the Dallas Cowboy fans, bandwagon fans, the closet fans, and other anti-Redskins fans who will give fans of this team a hard time... you can't control them (and some of the idiotic things they may sometimes say), but you can control how you feel (and react) towards all of that. Remember... "It All Starts With You!" ;-)

I will say though, I have heard once, that pain is usually an ultimate motivator. Now that my favorite team has experienced a significant part of it this week by losing to a team like the Lions (and literally had their pride taken away from them), I just have to hope that it hurts enough for them to make something out of this and to hopefully turn this season around. And to bring back the quote by Napoleon hill...

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit." -Napoleon Hill

So yeah DC, the President didn't die. Believe it or not, something good can come out of this, and all doesn't have to be bad in this town week. (Not to mention, the Washington Capitals season starts on Thursday).

D4P...PD!!!
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment