6/25/12

A King Gets His Crown - 2012 NBA Champion Miami Heat

I'm quite late in this post, as the series ended 4 days ago (although it seems like it ended much longer than that), but I'd be remissed if I didn't offer my thoughts on the result of the NBA Finals.

With my previous blog highly praising the OKC Thunder, it was clear who my favorite to win the championship was. OKC impressed me as a team, and most especially, impressed me the way they played against the whole Western Conference. They played fundamental team basketball, and got key contributions from all of their players.

That was far from the case when they played Miami in the Finals. Up until Game 4, Russel Westbrook didn't do what was expected of him and run the game like he was supposed to, and James Harden never really got into the series, which was a far cry compared to how they played in the rest of the playoffs.

To the Heat's credit, they were the exact opposite. They got huge contributions from role players such as Shane Battier, and Mike Miller. Miller hit 7 3-pointers in Game 5, to get them to pull away and take the series. Plus, having Bosh back in the lineup during the whole series also helped a lot, as his presence was clear in this series, compared to the previous series when he wasn't playing.

You also have to give credit where credit is due, and recognize LeBron James' outstanding play. In games 2, 3, 4,and 5 he was clutch. Game 5, he closed the series and got a triple double. He truly put the team on his back and carried them to the championship. He undoubtedly deserved the MVP.

Now, I will admit, I haven't always been the biggest LeBron fan, but not for the reasons that most people don't like him. But before I get into that, I want to say that I always respected his ability as an athlete, and is questionably, one of the greatest specimens the sport of basketball has ever seen. As far as his character goes, all most people criticize about him is what they see portrayed as in public or by the media, which is a self-absorbed, egotistical, self-entitled jerk. But, for all we know, he probably is a much better person than he is portrayed, so I don't judge him based on that either. But, the reason why I haven't always been a huge LeBron fan, is because, as a Wizards fan, he has continually broke our hearts in the playoffs. But, even then, after watching his performance in the playoffs, however you may feel about him, you have to give him his due. He deserves the championship.

But, now that he has his championship, all the comparisons to Michael Jordan has already started. Although I see why people have to make this comparison, I don't think it's fair, as they are two different types of players with different styles of play, from different eras, with different types of talent to work with. But, if asked the question "do you think Lebron will match MJ's win total, I will answer with a no, simply because in this era of free agency, where championship teams are easily broken up, and where players always go to the best situations, I can't see him winning 6 championships. (You have to remember that during the Jordan era, it was before the lockout shortened season of 1999 (?), so it's unfair to compare that).

With all that being said, congrats to the Heat. Seeing as they are in the same division as my Washington Wizards, I won't want to see them win too many more championships, as we have to get through them, to win the division, and ultimately the title. But, I will give credit where credit is due. This team was clearly the best, and they came to play when it mattered.

They deserve it.

#OBE

No comments:

Post a Comment