6/28/12

My thoughts on Obamacare

Earlier this morning, President Obama's affordable healthcare act has been upheld by the Supreme Court, declaring that it is not unconstitutional. This is a significant day in American history, and this issue has seem to have divided the country. I would be remissed if I didn't comment on it, so I shall give a few of my opinions. (And I mean, just a few).

Normally, I would try to stay away from political posts (growing up in the DC Metro area, that is very uncharacteristic of me), but, as an American citizen, this ruling has a huge impact on me, and the hundreds of millions of American citizens nationwide.

I'm normally neutral and moderate when it comes to a lot of issues, whether political or life. In fact, it's a recurring theme in my life is that I usually end up get "caught in the middle" when it comes to a lot of things. This issue is no exception. I love the idea that all American citizens should have health insurance. Everybody in this country should get the kind of care that they deserve, and if people are sick, they deserve to be treated. As far as forcing them to get it, (and if you don't, you'll get penalized on your taxes), I'm not so much of a fan of. In a way, I did feel it was unconstitutional to delegate to Americans that they SHOULD get health insurance, as it's not really constitutional to delegate to Americans to buy something mandatory that the government tells you to get. But, looking from it on the other side of the coin, it's obvious that this country does have a health problem, whether it be the obesity epidemic, terminal diseases such as cancer, as well as the thousands of mutating common diseases each and every single day. So with that, I do see both sides of the coin, and I am pretty neutral about it.

But, I will say I'm slightly more on the side FOR Obama-care. As I said, I don't like the idea of having to pay a penalty on my taxes if I don't get health insurance. I'm still at that age, where I feel that I'm young and healthy enough where not having health insurance will hurt me, seeing as I haven't been treated in a hospital for an illness or injury for years. I also keep myself in decent shape, nor am I an alcoholic, smoke, or do anything destructive. Hell, for a guy my age, I don't even stay out late most of the time (nor do I desire to). But, having mandatory health insurance is like having insurance anywhere else. Sooner or later, you're probably gonna need it. Hell, when 2014 comes (when the tax penalty is supposedly going to be in effect), chances are I probably won't be as healthy as I am now.

One thing I don't like about this, if this law is passed, this would be a huge opportunity for insurance companies to gouge their prices. As someone with a BA in Economics, I do have a bit of an economist in me. If this law passes, and should healthcare become mandatory, this will be an opportunity for the companies to say, "oh, the government is telling everybody to get insurance, so let's charge everyone a high price for it". Honestly, that's the same reason why gas prices are so high today (although it got lower in the past few weeks).

So with that, I will say that I do have a moderate take on it. But, I will be honest and say I don't know too much about Obamacare to fully comment on it, so I'll stop there on the opinions. However, because the Supreme Court ruled FOR Obamacare, doesn't necessarily mean it will become law. The Congress is still full of Republicans, and you know that they will do what they can to repeal this law.

We will see what happens.

#OBE

No comments:

Post a Comment