8/17/09

Various Quotes on Criticism

Just want to share a few various quotes about giving criticism (as well as taking them). I'm not quite sure where I heard these quotes, or if I made them up myself (if they're not mine, they are paraphrased in some other way). However, these quotes just happened to pop straight out of my head because I had a big argument with someone I cared about over the weekend, and afterwards I did some serious thinking and praying before I went to bed last night. The ones that I know aren't mine, I placed the source in parentheses ( )...

"Examine before you assume."


"Assuming only makes you begin to look how that word starts."


"When you crack a whip, you better be ready for some backlash. If you're not willing to accept any backlash, you have no business having a whip in your hands. Criticism is like a whip."


"Before you criticize anything, imagine yourself in the object, situation, person you are speaking against."


"When you point your finger at something, there's always three pointing right back at you." (Various)


"When people say things out of line about you that you know is absolutely untrue, if you truly know and love yourself, nothing will bother you."


"To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." (Newton)


"When others talk to you, examine how close they are to you or if they have your best interests in mind. That way, you can determine if they are criticizing you 'out of love'."


(On the flipside...) "A person may have the best intentions for you, but that doesn't mean this same person knows what's best for you."


"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit." (Napoleon Hill)


Most of these have to do with the situation I was in. These quotes can be about me or about the person I was arguing with (I'll let you find that out for yourself). Regardless, if you ever get into an argument and are dishing and taking your share of criticisms, these are good quotes to remember.

D4P...PD!!!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment