9/15/10

My Quick Thoughts on the DC Mayoral Race

Primary Election Day in both Maryland and Washington, DC took place yesterday. When I woke up this morning, I woke up to the news that Adrian Fenty, the incumbent mayor of DC, has lost his re-election campaign to Vincent Gray, who will be inaugurated the new mayor in January (that is because whoever won the Democratic primary would win the the ticket due to the Republican party not having a candidate). In some aspects, I kind of surprised, but on the other hand, I knew it the change was imminent.

I won't talk about this subject too much, because I wasn't a registered voter in DC, nor am I a political insider who knows the true situation. I also usually prefer not to talk about politics (due to it being a very taboo and sensitive subject matter to most). But from just hearing from others who have more educated opinions on this, and just from mere observation of seeing where DC is now compared to 4 years ago, Fenty has upheld his office and done well in his job. He has reformed education, re-built schools, and rebuilt and redeveloped several parts of DC. The guy really provided results. All doing so as the youngest elected mayor in the city's history.


So what went wrong? Many say he was cocky, controversial, and downright arrogant. He refused to answer questions about "secret trips", he appeared cocky in his media appearances, and he refused to admit any "mistakes" he may have made, despite what his advisers told him. He thought the results he provided were to enough to get him re-elected. Unfortunately, for him, they weren't. But like I said, I am not in the position to provide full political commentary. So instead please check out this following article by the Washington Post, which is probably a much better read detailing the situation. (It's actually pretty good journalism as well).


Do I think that the DC voters made a mistake in not re-electing Fenty? Perhaps. Like I said, the man provided results and had DC in the right direction, in my opinion. But, at the same time, I do understand why he was not re-elected. To be an effective leader, you have to be genuine and likable. And during these past 4 years, the DC voters didn't feel he related to them enough for them to believe he can effectively lead this city in another 4 years.


But time will tell if Vincent Gray will be a great mayor. I'm hoping and praying he will continue the road that Fenty started to blaze in leading DC in the right direction, and at the same time, not lose touch with the people who put him in office. Good luck to him.

We all have a lot to learn from the results of this particular election. If you're in a position of leadership (or in any position representing others), it is true that results are optimal but certainly not enough, because connection is crucial. (The latter statement in bold, is actually one of the first lessons I learned as a public speaker).

D4P...PD!!!
-OBE

No comments:

Post a Comment