9/13/10

Week 1 Post Game Redskins Thoughts

Gonna try something new here in this blog. Before AND after every game, I am going to offer my thoughts on the upcoming Redskins game. Not is it only gonna create more general interest in my blog within the next few months (because people get fever-pitched hot during football season), but I feel I can offer it with my own unique kind of insight that only I can offer. As you can see, I've done the "before" thoughts already for this week. Now comes the "after"...

First and foremost, I would have to say that it feels great that the Redskins beat the Cowboys. I feel good and proud for my favorite team that they won, but I'm equally as happy that the so-called "fans" of the Cowboys that I discussed here in this blog will be quiet, if only until their next meeting.


I have to admit, the game was ugly. Dallas kept shooting themselves in the foot in the whole game with penalty after penalty. And on top of that, they spotted the Skins with a touchdown with that terrible turnover converted to a touchdown to end the 1st half. I hate to say this, but honestly, if the Cowboys played a more disciplined game (which they aren't known so much in doing anyway), they probably would've won this game.

On the Redskins' side, some parts looked pretty ugly too. They didn't score an offensive TD, when they had a few great opportunities to. McNabb threw to guys' hands, but couldn't hold on to the ball. Not to mention, in that last Cowboys' drive, they could have done a better job stopping that drive (rather than letting them drive the length of the field). They also allowed a lot of overall yards during the game.


Luckily, it's only week 1. Most of those mistakes are correctable, and if they do a good job to address and correct them, there will be better games ahead. It does go to show, that there is a quite a long way to go for the Skins, if they want to be perceived as well improved, and as a solid contender.

As far as what I saw that the Redskins do well... their young offensive line held relatively well against a more seasoned Cowboy defensive team. I was also impressed with how Trent Williams held Pro Bowler Demarcus Ware in check for most of the game. And overall, as compared to last year, this team looks like it's seriously improved (and that's very evident in the coaching as well).

How that game ended just put the cherry on top. I don't think I'll forget it in a while. Here's a video of the game's end...



All throughout the game, they mentioned #71 Alex Barren, being one of the most penalized players in the league. Luckily, that reputation helped the Redskins out. (Even then, if he didn't hold, Orakpo may still have sacked Romo).

But those last few minutes when the Cowboys were marching out the field surely had my blood pressure up. There were times when the Skins had great stops, only for them to not matter, because the Cowboys kept moving the chains a down or two later. Although these heart stopping games are great when my team wins, I would still rather not having them (considering, they can be equally devastating if they lose).


As I said in my last entry, the Cowboys have some issues themselves, and they would surely not roll in this game like how many experts picked them to. They even had a chance of getting upset by a well-improved team. With the exception of the final score prediction, I was pretty spot on.


But like I said, the Skins have A LOT of work to do, to establish credibility throughout the year, as well as back in their organization, because this win was UGLY, and it could have as easily been a loss. They have to face another team known for their offense next week, the Houston Texans. The Redskins surely can't pull a win next week if... 1) they don't score any points (like they've barely done this game), and 2) if they are depended on winning in luck. They just beat the heavily favored Colts this week and put up 38 points, so you know they could be pretty good this year. Redskins simply can't win, if they only put up 13 points like they have in this game.

Even though the win was ugly, one thing about the game that I thought didn't look ugly, was the burgundy jersey with the yellow (gold) pants that the Redskins were wearing. The yellow pants weren't worn since the '70s, and I thought it was a nice touch that it was brought back. Not to mention, it's a nice change of pace from the usual white jersey on burgundy pants. 


Those are my thoughts on this game. The win was definitely satisfying, but like I said, there'll be another good challenge come next week, so stay tuned for that (as well as my pre and post game thoughts on it). For now, as a Redskins fan, I'm proud of their win, and hope they can keep it going.


But it's getting late now, and I should probably hit the hay. So to all of the Redskins faithful, have a good night! I sure will.


HTTR
-OBE

No comments:

Post a Comment